Back in 1995 a meeting was held by the Western Governors Association to develop a sustainable e-learning model for tertiary education.
The outcome of this meeting would lead to the establishment of Western Governors University (WGU) in 1997.
WGU is an accredited online, e-learning university with its headquarters located in Salt Lake City, Utah. WGU is also a privately owned, nonprofit internet-based university.
At the moment, the president of WGU is Scott D. Pulsipher, he was appointed in April, 2016. The former president, Robert Mendenhall is now a WGU Board of Trustees member, and a president emeritus of WGU.
WGU offers online degree programs. It have been accredited by renowned national and regional educational institutions like: ACBSP, CAEP, CAHIIM, CCNE, NCATE, and NWCCU
The goal of WGU is to provide students from all over the world with a sustainable, online e-learning platform. One that is user-friendly, intuitive, highly interactive, and progressively innovative.
A portal where students can effectively communicate with both lecturers and colleagues without having to be physically present like in traditional universities.
WGU Student Portal login
- To access the WGU student portal and log in, you simply need to visit https://my.wgu.edu.
- When on the portal login you are informed that your sign-in to the site is secure.
- You will be required to provide your registered "Username" and "Password". After which you can click on the orange "SIGN IN" button.
- If you cannot remember your username and/or password, you can make use of the "Reset Password" and/or "Retrieve Username" links opposite the "SIGN IN" button.
- A "Create an Account" link is also available on the WGU student portal landing page. This link is for anyone yet to register and open a WGU student account before login.
At the bottom of the WGU student portal landing page, you have University Announcements with links to;
- "Request a Transcript": For any student wishing to forward their transcripts to a named recipient/organisation.
- "Alumni Community": For ex-students wishing to connect with other past students.
- "Visit WGU's website": Note that the official WGU website is http://www.wgu.edu/ and "WellConnect".
Service Desk Information
Still on the WGU student portal landing page, you have the service desk information. You can forward your enquiries by email to email@example.com.
If you prefer to give the service desk a call, you can do so on (877) 435-7948.
You can make calls:
- From 06:00hrs to 22:00hrs, MT (Monday to Friday)
- From 10:00hrs to 19:00hrs, MT (Saturday to Sunday).
Creating an Account
To create an account on WGU, you will need to provide three key information.
- The first bit of information that you need to provide is your "First Name".
- The second information is your "Last Name".
- while the third is your "Application PIN".
The application PIN is a six-digit number which the applicant specified in the WGU Admission Application form while filing it out.
- Once you have provided the three basic information, you can click the "Next" button to move on to the next stage of the account creation process.
Other student portals: